Suburb Explorer

Dover Heights

Real Estate & Design in Dover Heights – The suburb is considered to be the most affluent within the Waverly Local Government Area, & amongst the most affluent suburbs in Sydney. This is reflected in property prices – like nearby suburbs Vaucluse & Bellevue Hill, median house prices are above AUD $2 million

History of Dover Heights

Dover Heights is believed to have been named for its cliffs along the Pacific Ocean which resembled those found at Dover, in Kent, England. The first mention of Dover Heights appeared in municipal records in 1886. The area was first used for market gardens. In 1830 land in the area was owned by Daniel Cooper (1785-1853), a partner in the firm Cooper & Levey, who owned the Waterloo Stores. The retailing emporium was located on the corner of George Street & Market Street in the City, on the site that was later occupied by Gowings Brothers retailers until 2006. The Dover Heights area was subdivided in 1913

Landmark in Dover Heights

During the Second World War, Rodney Reserve, at the Dover Heights clifftop, was used by the Royal Australian Air Force for coastal defence RADAR. The CSIRO further used the site for pioneering experimentation in radio astronomy related to galactic radio emissions, with a team including John Gatenby Bolton first observing solar emissions in 1945. The site primarily made use of Yagi antennae

Transport in Dover Heights

Dover Heights is well serviced by bus transport to & from the CBD & Bondi Junction, running primarily along Old South Head Road & Military Road.

Distance to City from Dover Heights

3.4km & 12 Minutes by Taxi

Distance to the Airport from Dover Heights

6.8Km & 20 Minutes by Taxi